Cumming Behavioral & Developmental Disorder Treatment
Vickery Pediatrics provides evaluation and treatment for behavioral and developmental disorders in children. Our Cumming-based pediatricians work with children and young adults up to age 21 to help manage a range of behavioral, developmental and learning issues.
It’s natural for parents to be concerned if they suspect their child has a learning, social or communication disorder. With the advice and support of our caring developmental-behavioral pediatricians at Vickery Pediatrics, your child can get the treatment they need to live a fulfilling life.
Behavioral & Developmental Assessments
Behavioral & developmental disorders cover a broad range of issues that are not always easy to identify. With early intervention being one of the best ways to improve outcomes for children, it is important to seek the help of a pediatrician as early as possible. A program of behavior, development, learning and socialization therapy will help reduce the impact of these disorders, giving your child the best opportunity for a fulfilling home, school and social life.
Types of Behavioral & Developmental Disorders We Treat
- Attention disorders – Common problems include anxiety, attention-deficit disorder (ADD), attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), oppositional-defiant behavior, intermittent explosive disorder and conduct disorder.
- Autism spectrum disorder – A neurodevelopmental disorder identified by problems with repetitive behavior, delayed speech, sensory issues, coordination challenges and social skills.
- Learning disorders – Dyslexia is the most recognized learning disorder, but many children also experience challenges with math, writing, speaking and following routines.
- Tourette syndrome – Recognized by involuntary vocal tics and muscle movements. Symptoms can improve through personalized therapy from a pediatrician along with family support.
- Additional issues – Other conditions that require pediatric diagnosis and treatment include sleep disorders, chronic illnesses, motor skills issues and more.
Common Questions About Behavioral and Developmental Disorders
Parents can contact their pediatrician to diagnose why a child is not yet talking. A delay in speech can be caused by various issues, including oral-motor problems, hearing difficulties, issues with the tongue and so on. Once the cause is determined, speech therapy and other techniques may be appropriate.
Parents may notice some of the signs of autism in the first 18 months of a child’s life. However, most children are not diagnosed with autism until around ages 2–3. In some cases a diagnosis will occur later, but speaking to your pediatrician as early as possible allows for early treatment intervention.
Due to the wide range of conditions that impact a child’s behavior and development, treatments and success rates will vary. While many disorders like autism and Tourette syndrome cannot be cured, effective treatment can help successfully manage the condition. By working closely with families and schools, it is possible to create a positive environment where a child can thrive.
Contact Us for Behavioral and Developmental Disorder Treatments in Cumming
Vickery Pediatrics provides comprehensive care for behavioral and developmental disorders in children. Our experienced Cumming-based pediatricians work with children from Cumming, Buford, Dawsonville, Gainesville, Johns Creek, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Forsyth County and beyond. For all pediatric sick and well visits, call (678) 990-2501 or make an appointment today.